Chaos Labs - BNB Interest Rate Updates - 07/15/24

Summary

A proposal to reduce BNB’s Kink in the BNB Core Pool

Motivation

Following a change to interest rates in March, we have observed changes in the market and present them here. In March, the kink was increased from 0.6 to 0.8, the multiplier from 0.15 to 0.225, and the jump multiplier from 4 to 6.8.

The stated goal of this change was to offer equivalent borrowing rates at higher utilization levels, while ensuring an ample buffer in case of liquidations.

The chart below shows the overall supply in the BNB Chain Core Pool, along with borrows in black and utilization rate in the bottom half.

There are three key takeaways from this chart:

1. Notional borrows are relatively predictable, and increased slightly following interest rate changes.
  2. Notional borrows are more correlated to Launchpool event length than to utilization or interest rates, indicating that users do have some sensitivity to accruing interest.
  3. Borrowers have been slower to repay since events beginning in late April, generating more protocol revenue.

The Launchpad that led to the highest borrow demand was Manta (January), which lasted just two days. ENA had the second-highest notional borrowing demand, lasting just three days. Borrowers are naturally more rate sensitive as Launchpool duration increases and less sensitive as it decreases.

Below, we explore two different cases to simulate outcomes under the old and new IR curves, the first with the assumption that utilization would have remained the same, the second assuming that interest rates would have remained the same.

Case 1: Holding Utilization Equal

The chart below shows observed borrowing rates following the previously discussed adjustment, as well as hypothetical borrowing rates under the previous IR curve, assuming utilization was equal.

We find that the previous curve would have led to significantly higher rates during Launchpool events, again assuming that utilization was equal, as the utilization would have been above the Kink.

However, we also note that since May, the updated curve has generated more income outside of Launchpool events, while the old curve would have theoretically generated more during Launchpools, peaking at over 1,700 BNB per day instead of just under 1,000 per day.

Case 2: Holding Interest Rates Equal

Given the finding that the amount borrowed varies based on the length of an event — indicating that borrowers are somewhat rate sensitive — we do not find it likely that utilization would have been the same under the previous IR curve, as higher borrowing rates likely would have reduced the notional amount borrowed. Holding interest rates even to simulate rate-sensitive borrowers, we find that the old IR curve would have produced less revenue by reducing the amount of BNB borrowed.

Since March, under these theoretical circumstances, the BNB market would have generated 3K BNB less than what was actually generated.

However, the true outcome likely lies somewhere in the middle of Case 1 and 2, and is especially difficult to discern given confounding factors related to Launchpools: demand, market conditions, etc. It is likely that, under the old IR curve, utilization would have been lower while interest rates would have been slightly higher.

Recommendation

Should the community wish to optimize for protocol reserves, we recommend decreasing the Kink to 0.7 from 0.8. This change would provide valuable insights into the elasticity of borrowing demand — helping to determine the sensitivity of Launchpool borrowers to borrow rates — and help to further optimize this market.

Specification

Chain Pool Asset Current Kink Rec. Kink
BNB Chain Core BNB 0.8 0.7
1 Like

Hi again,

To be honest I don’t think reducing the kink is a good idea here.

I’m not sure why ChaosLabs is suggesting this, as a regular user that borrows BNB and supply it for launchpool, I can assure you that anything over 20%-25% borrow rate is not profitable.

If the kink is reduced then we will scare the borrowers away, perhaps we should atleast wait until the launchpools are back to being as profitable as they used to be.

Same goes for the people that borrow bnb to farm Megadrop, we might be aiming for more Protocol revenue but if the pool utilization drops further then we might end up with the opposite results.

We shouldn’t forget that megadrop requires users to lock in their bnb for 20 days. So if the borrow rate suddenly jumps, then borrowers will not be able to pay their loan back since their bnbs are locked for the megadrop event and it takes 2 days to unstake.

If megadrop ends up being not profitable for borrowers, then they will avoid borrowing for the next one.

For me it doesn’t matter much because I hold fat bag of bnbs thats perma locked on binance. I just borrow against some of my stables to maximize my profit, but I felt like its something for the team to consider.

Old or new model had nothing to do with the loan payback time. The reason people took longer time to pay their loan back is because of the new Megadrop thingy on binance.

The old model used to work because launchpools used to be way more profitable than they are now.

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It’s important to clarify that our recommendation is not to immediately decrease the kink but rather to propose a potential adjustment for the community to consider if the goal is to optimize for protocol reserves. By decreasing the kink to 0.7, we aim to gather valuable insights into the elasticity of borrowing demand and understand how sensitive Launchpool borrowers are to changes in borrow rates. This data-driven approach would enable us to make more informed decisions to optimize the market effectively.

We understand your concerns about the potential impact on profitability for borrowers, particularly in relation to the Megadrop events. We intend to ensure that any changes are based on comprehensive data and community input. Should the community decide to proceed with this adjustment, we would closely monitor its effects and ensure that borrower profitability and overall protocol health remain priorities.

Thank you for your engagement and feedback.

3 Likes

Thank you for your communication.

To be honest if you want data on the sensitivity of launchpool borrowers we should look at the aftermath of Renzo’s launchpool which was very unprofitable for borrowers.

Based on my memory (I could be wrong) during and before Renzo’s launchpool we used to see borrow rates hitting 40%+.

However the launchpools that came after Renzo (Not & Io) the borrow rates were significantly lower than usual.

I’m just worried that another non-profitable launchpool would scare more borrowers away.

We understand the concern and the points made. However, it is likely that these have more to do with market conditions and hype for a given LaunchPool than the BNB IR curve. The change was made months previously, after which we saw borrow rates in excess of 60% for three straight events. The Renzo pool rates were lower, followed by significantly lower rates for NOT. The IO event, however, reached the same peak notional borrows achieved during the Renzo pool, suggesting that borrowers were not scared off. Instead, as supply has increased, utilization has dropped accordingly (70% for the two most recent events compared to 80%+ for the previous events).